How Solar Power Works and the Benefits It Provides
Helping You Go Solar in San Diego, CA
Have you been considering solar power for your home in San Diego, CA? If so, Solare Energy is here for you. We want you to understand how solar power works and the benefits of solar power. Sunny San Diego is the perfect place to go solar, but we want to ensure you understand more about this alternative energy source. Our solar energy experts are here to explain how solar power works and explain the basics of solar PV systems, net metering, and more. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or are ready to schedule your solar power consultation with a free quote.
How Solar Energy Works
Solar energy is radiant light and heat from the sun. Over time, humans have found out how to harness the sun’s energy through technology. Solar radiation and secondary solar-powered resources such as wind and wave power account for most of the available renewable energy on Earth. Unfortunately, only a tiny fraction of the available solar energy is currently being used. Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems convert the sunlight directly to electricity using solar cells. Solar cells are small, square-shaped panel semiconductors made from silicon and other conductive materials. These panels are manufactured in thin-film layers. When sunlight strikes a solar cell, a chemical reaction releases electronics and generates an electric current. Solar cells can be found on many small appliances, such as calculators. For homes in San Diego, cells are arranged together in a PV module and grouped in an array. The electrical energy from solar cells can then be used directly in your home or business for lights and appliances. Excess solar energy can be exported back to the utility grid to power other homes and businesses. It can also be stored in batteries for use during peak periods with high electric rates or to power your home during a blackout.
If you’re considering going solar, net metering is an important concept to understand. At any time of the day, your renewable energy system may produce more or less electricity than you need for your home or business. If you have excess electricity, it automatically goes through the electric meter to the utility grid to be supplied to other customers. When this process occurs, your meter runs backward. During other times, your demand might be higher than your system is producing, so you rely on the additional power needs from the utility. Net energy metering is a special billing arrangement for customers who have solar PV systems. This system allows customers to get credit for the electricity their systems generate and tracks how much energy is sent back into the electric grid and how much your home or business consumes. You only pay for the net amount of electricity you use, over and above the amount your renewable system generates.
The Benefits of Installing Solar Panels
There are many reasons to go solar and have solar panels installed for your home or business in San Diego. Doing your part for the environment by using an alternative energy source is a great place to start. Check out some of the benefits that having solar panels installed for your home or business can provide you:
- Saving Money – One of the primary considerations when going solar involves how much money it costs to have solar panels installed vs. how much money you’ll save on energy costs over the life of your solar system. Some studies show that you may be able to save up to $100 per month on energy costs with solar panels.
- Boosting Home Value – Many potential homebuyers are interested in solar homes, especially because they won’t have to pay to install them. This can boost your home’s resale value and make your home more attractive because the buyer won’t have to worry about high energy bills.
- Enjoying Incentives – Having solar panels installed can qualify you for several incentives, such as federal tax credits. You may also be eligible for state and local rebates and Solar Renewable Energy Credits. These incentives can help offset the solar panel installation costs.
- Guaranteed Performance – Having solar panels installed at your home or business is a lifetime investment that will continue to pay off year after year. You can depend on the sun to offer guaranteed energy without having to depend on the traditional energy grid.
- Low Maintenance Costs – Solar panels typically don’t require much maintenance. Having your panels cleaned a couple of times a year will usually suffice. These panels have no moving parts, meaning there’s no wear and tear on them. Sometimes the inverter will need to be changed, but for the most part, your solar panels will hold up for many years.
Why Choose Solare Energy?
Now that you know how solar works and why you should choose it for your home, it’s time to choose the best solar company in San Diego. Solare Energy has been serving the area for more than 30 years, specializing in residential and commercial solar installations. If you have a solar project we can help you with, we invite you to contact us for a free quote.